The purpose of this privacy notice is to give you a clear explanation on how Action from Switzerland (hereafter referred to as AfS) and any third parties AfS works with in the role of a processor use personal information you provide to AfS.
This privacy notice explains:
- Who we are
- What information AfS may collect from you
- Legal basis and purpose for processing personal data
- Your data protection rights
- Who AfS shares your data with
- How long does AfS store your data
- Changes to AfS Privacy Notice
- How to contact AfS on matters regarding data protection
Who we are
Action from Switzerland (AfS) is a non-profit organisation based in Zürich that believes in solidarity with our fellow human beings being displaced by violence, conflict and persecution. Our work is focused on ensuring that everyone is able to exercise their rights, in dignity, regardless of their race, language or religion.
We pay special attention in defending the rights and needs of the extra vulnerable displaced, especially women and girls, in order to combat exploitation and gender-based violence and promote women’s rights and social inclusion.
Our projects are all developed with the objective of delivering a dynamic response to the biggest humanitarian crisis since World War 2.
We are also thoroughly committed to amplifying the voices of those displaced by maintaining a strong advocacy policy on the inhumanity of the situation on the ground in Greece and the political disaster causing breaches of human rights happening on a daily basis.
What information AfS may collect from you
The collection, processing and archiving of the personal data described below are according to the local data protection provisions.
Amongst our activities as a non-profit organisation, we may collect and process the following information:
Basic Personal Information
Via our online volunteering form, if provided by you, we collect contact details such as name, first name and e-mail address, your nationality and driver’s licence information.
Via our online volunteering form, if provided by you, we collect information about your skills, so that we can contact you about volunteering roles that are relevant to your skill set e.g. languages, IT skills and such.
Payment information / Records of your payment
When a donation is made, we collect in addition to your contact information, the necessary financial information. Depending on how your payment is made, the collected financial information slightly differs depending on the payment option of your choice. However, at no point in the entire end-to-end payment process will we receive or store your full credit card information.
Details of your visit to the website
When you visit our website, we collect technical information such as the IP address, your browser type and version.
Data collected and processed in direct relation to helping the displaced in need
In order to fulfil this task, we may obtain personal contact details from the displaced in need (Data subject). In specific cases, the data subjects may provide us with additional personal data (incl. sensitive data) related to their person. The provision of such data is then linked directly to an explicit consent.
Legal basis and purpose for processing personal data
When collecting personal information, our activities are based on one or more lawful grounds listed below:
- Depending on the purpose of the processing activity, the processing of your personal data will be based on the legitimate interests of AfS, without unduly affecting your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms
- Vital interest; processing is necessary to protect the vital interest of the data subject
- Consent; the consent of the data has been lawfully obtained
- Requirements to meet our legal or regulatory responsibilities
When collecting personal information, our activities rely on the following purposes:
- Donations: We collect certain information such as your personal contact details and amount of donation
- Volunteering: We collect certain information such as your personal contact details or profession background; hobbies and skills
- Direct Marketing: For the purpose of Marketing we might contact you with newsletters, event invites, donation opportunities etc.
- Not-for-profit activities such as directly supporting displaced in needs
Your data protection rights
As a data subject you might have one or several of the following rights in regard to your personal data collected and processed by AfS. For more information on the rights or should you choose to exercise one or more of the rights please contact us on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your rights as a data subject (applicability depending on local provision, purpose of collection and lawful ground):
- Right of access by the data subject to the personal data collect by AfS
- Right to rectification of personal data
- Right to erasure of personal data
- Right to restriction of processing of personal data
- Right to personal data portability
- Right to object to personal data processing
Who AfS shares your data with
In some instances, AfS as a controller shares personal data with suppliers, third-party vendors and / or business partners who perform specific activities linked to services provided to you by AfS (e.g. IT and communication services).
The third parties in connection with AfS are: GSuite, Xero and MailChimp. For further information on how those third parties collect and process personal data, please refer to the data protection privacy notice published on their respective websites.
How long does AfS store your data
We will only retain personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected and to comply with regulatory requirements.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
We keep our privacy notice under regular review and we will place any updates on this webpage. This privacy notice was last updated on 13 May 2018.
How to contact AfS on matters regarding data protection
If you have questions about this Privacy Notice, please contact us at: