Donations / Collections
Our central storage is in Oerlikon, Zürich. However, we only give out exact address privately to avoid people leaving items on the doorstep when we aren’t there. Locations are on loan to us and we want to maintain our goodwill. Plus we can’t sort the items and return anything that isn’t needed.
If you don’t have a car, we recommend you coordinate with other donors on Facebook via the collection Event Page to bring your donated goods together.
We love this question. We are constantly looking for volunteers to act as collection drop off point heads around Switzerland. You can plan your own local collection, and bring everything to us in bulk!
If you want to host a local collection, make sure you:
- are a car owner and easily mobile;
- are able and willing to travel to Zürich in time for the final drop off;
- are able to or at least have others to help you sort the donations; and finally
- email firstname.lastname@example.org prior, to inform us of the areas you would like to take charge of for our team to keep track. They will forward you more information on how to ensure that your collection is a smooth one.
Check the Facebook event on our Facebook page for the nearest collection point to you. If no one in your area is collecting, and you are able to volunteer as a collection point head, go right ahead and start one!
We can only collect items that are requested by our contacts on the ground around Europe. They receive donations from other groups regularly, hence we confirm the items required on the ground before we start our collection. We seek your kind understanding that we run try to run lean as possible an organisation, in order to focus all money resources towards refugees so we need try our best to minimise running costs whenever possible – like storage!
- When you drop things off, we will go through to make sure everything is on the list of requested items. To avoid bringing back anything, please ensure that you only bring us what has been requested.
- We will sort and box everything by item type and size, then pack it up for delivery to our contacts. You can help us with this step by sorting your donations prior to drop off.
- If there is anything left over (e.g. us running out of storage / transportation space), we hold it until we have a new request, or send it to our contacts in Munich that distributes clothing and other items to refugee spots around Europe. In every case, rest assured that your donations go to a refugee somewhere!